Thursday, September 23, 2010

What are the teachers like? Do you get to know them well?

The professors at St. Mike's are absolutely great!! Any time I've needed help with anything - even for classes outside of my majors, they've always found the time to meet with me. (Side note - all professors are required to keep office hours - but they are always willing to meet other times if need be.) And my advisors (who have also been my professors) for both of my majors are extremely helpful! Over the past 2 years, I've been able to get to know them really well, and have made what I hope are life-long connections. I just look up to both of them so much, because they've both done a lot of really great things during their lifetime - and now they want to help me achieve my goals.

But all of the professors at SMC are like that, they all come with so much knowledge and experience in their specific fields - they really are a great resource and they want to help students. You just have to be willing to reach out and let them know that you need/want help.

Another side note - because classes are so small at SMC you really get to know all of your professor on some kind of a personal level, obviously some you get to know better than others. But I've never had a professor who hasn't known my name - you're not just a number, like at some of the bigger schools out there - you're a person, with a name, a personality, a life history, and a dream. Cheesy, I know, but so true.

No comments:

Post a Comment