Monday, September 27, 2010

Oktoberfest

You know, it just wouldn't be right if I was in Germany during the fall and didn't go to Oktoberfest! I mean, not only is it a lot of fun, but it's also, more importantly, a huge cultural event. From wearing the tradition dress to meeting Germans my own age - Oktoberfest was definitely a learning experience! And on top of all of that I had the chance to hang out with my friend Carola, who's actually from Munich! She studied in the US while I was still in high school and we managed to keep in touch! It really was a lot of fun and something that I'm definitely glad I had the chance to experience.

Carola and I, in our Dirndls - traditional Bavarian dresses.

The way you tie these aprons, as I quickly found out, says a lot according to Bavarian tradition. I was trying on different Dirndls at the store and at one point came out of the dressing room, with my apron tied behind my back, like one would normally do with something like that. And as soon as Carola saw this she was like - "You don't want to tie it like that! That means you're a widow!" Apparently you only tie the apron behind your back if you're a widow, and if you single you tie it to your left side, but if you're in a relationship you tie to the right side. It's amazing how something so small could have so much meaning behind it!


In the "Tent" - not the little white tent I had pictured in my mind! lol!

Carola's friends in their Lederhosen!

Carola and the guys :-)

With Paul, one of Carola's friends

Oh and how could I forget?! This year was the 200th anniversary of Oktoberfest!! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment