Saturday, October 2, 2010

Why did you choose St. Michael's?

Well ... I chose SMC for many reasons!!! One of the top reasons being its location - it's close enough to go home when I want to, but far enough away where I know my parents won't stop by unexpectedly. It's also super close to Burlington (which in my opinion is VT's most happening "city" - although, I wouldn't really call it a city, but it works here I guess! lol!). And it's also really close to the other colleges in Burlington, like UVM and Champlain, where a lot of my friends go to school.

I also really liked St. Mike's emphasize on community service and helping others. There are just so many different programs and events to be involved in, that I knew I wouldn't have a hard time finding something that I wanted to do. I've been involved with multiple programs thru the MOVE office (Mobilization of Volunteer Efforts) - for example, Cause for Paws where I was able to help out at the local Greyhound Rescue Center - just socializing with the dogs, walking them, and helping to clean out cages. Then there was NESEI - New Sudan Education Initiative - which raises money to build schools in Sudan. And I've even had the opportunity to travel to Utah to work at Best Friend's Animal Sanctuary.

I was also very impressed with the Journalism department and just how involved the JO students are with the school paper - we not only write the articles, but we also edit and publish them. Not to mention the extensive knowledge and experience that many of the professors have.

In the end, however, it was a visit to SMC that did it for me. While I was still in high school I went to SMC to visit a friend who was/is going there and just fell in love with it. The people, the campus, everything - to be honest I didn't realize just how much I actually liked SMC until I came over here to Germany and really started to miss everything - even the food!!! Weekend brunch at Alliot is by far the best thing ever!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment