Thursday, October 7, 2010

My Neighborhood - Kreuzberg

I realized the other day, that I've never talked about the neighborhood I live in or put up pictures. So I went out Monday afternoon and just walked all around my neighborhood taking pictures ... I did get a few strange looks, I will admit, but I feel that it is necessary to document and record every part of my experience abroad - including the neighborhood I live in.

So what can I tell you about my neighborhood? Well, I live in a district called Kreuzberg, which is in the southern part of the city, in what used to be West Berlin when the Wall was still up. My neighborhood is different from many of the others in the city, because of the fact that it still possess the old-fashioned fancy facades that were once present all over Berlin.

During WWII, Berlin was heavily bombed (so heavily, that even today they are still finding bombs that never went off - a little scary, I know)! But during these bombings many residential building were hit and as a result obviously lost their historical facades and designs. Later on they were eventually replaced with more modern style buildings - which don't get me wrong, is cool and everything, but I much more prefer the older, more historical looking buildings.

Side Note - I was even further south in the city the other day and I saw these really awesome subway stations, that were so old-fashioned with fancy columns and stuff ... but I didn't have my camera with me :-( I guess it just means that I'll have to go back :-)

But anyways, here are some pictures of the neighborhood I live in:

No comments:

Post a Comment