Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Excursions VI: Praha

The last stop on our excursions brought us outside of Germany and into the capital of the Czech Republic, Prague (or Praha, as they say). We spent about 3 days there, just walking around, touring the city, seeing the sights - it was a lot of fun but also really interesting. I mean, Prague is after all an Eastern European City - therefore there are many differences compared to some of the other cities I have visited. Other than the obvious difference, that they don't use the Euro but the Czech crown - I noticed that people weren't as friendly as they are in Berlin. There were a lot of rather rude people in the city - well, rude I guess isn't really the best word for it - I mean, they may seem rude to me, but for them it's probably completely normal behavior - it's all a part of their culture.

Another random thing that I noticed was that the subways were like 10x more crowded than they are in Berlin and there were signs everywhere, warning people to beware of pickpockets - which is something I never really have to worry about in Berlin - I mean, it could happen anywhere, but the fact that they brought so much attention to it with signs and stuff, gave me the impression that it is a rather common occurrence. Prague also had a different feeling to it - I mean, this could and probably has a lot to do with the fact that I was very aware that I was in a Eastern European City - but it did feel a little different from Berlin - I mean it would anyways, it's a new city, in a new country, but I just ... I don't really know how to describe it - I guess it felt almost more foreign then Berlin - I could definitely tell that it wasn't as influenced by Western Society, more specifically the States, as some other European cities, like Berlin, are.

Another difference is their language - I mean of course they speak another language, but it's so different from anything I've ever heard before. It's not a Germanic or Romantic language, nor is it Asian influenced. They speak, Czech, which is a Slovic language - completely, 100% foreign to me! But I did learn that "Thank you" in Czech is "děkuji!" :-)

One thing that I did really liked about Prague was the food!!! We went to this typical Czech restaurant one night and it was just absolutely amazing!!! I ordered the Beef Goulash - not your typical America Goulash at all!!! It was beef, onions, and peppers soaked in this amazing gravy, all of which was in this gigantic bread bowl!!! It was by far the best goulash I've ever and probably will ever have! I couldn't even eat all of it - I mean I ate all the goulash, but with bread bowl on top of it all, I couldn't do - it was just so much, so good, and so cheap!! It was an amazing night! lol!

No comments:

Post a Comment