Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Visiting My German Roots

A few weekends ago, I got to do something that I've always wanted to do, something that a lot of people never have the chance to do. I was able to meet my family, my German family, and visit the city where my oma (grandmother) grew up - Mannheim.

As I've probably said before in previous blogs, my grandmother, on my mother's side, is originally from Germany. She met my grandfather, who was stationed in Mannheim following WWII, during the Allies occupation of Germany, married him, had my uncle, moved to Vermont, and had my mom. Therefore, like all of my grandmother's family is still in Germany, well at least 5 of her brothers are and I was actually able to meet one of them, my Uncle Albert and his family (his wife and 2 daughters).

It was an absolutely awesome experience - they were super nice, took me everywhere, cooked delicious food (my aunt is a great cook), and just totally and completely accepted me into their family! It was awesome!! I really am glad that I was able to visit them and meet them, to see where my grandmother lived growing up, where she was married to my grandfather, and where my uncle was baptized. It was just really, really cool and I know it made my grandmother (who hasn't been back to Germany in a very long time) really happy.

With my Aunt and Uncle :-)

The church where my Grandparents were married and my Uncle baptized.

While I was visiting them they also took me, via the Autobahn!!!, to Heidelberg to see the famous castle, which was pretty cool, even if it is in ruins.

The Castle 

View of the City from the Castle

The whole weekend, was just absolutely awesome and something that I'm really happy I was able to do. I mean how many people can say that they've actually had the chance to meet their extended family abroad? Not many that I know of, and I'm super happy that I had this amazing opportunity!

No comments:

Post a Comment