Monday, November 22, 2010

Venezia

After leaving Rome and Pompeii behind us, Mike and I took the short 3/4 hour train ride to Venezia (otherwise known as Venice) - the one place, other than Germany, that I've always wanted to visit!! And it was amazing! By far, my favorite part of our whole trip!

We got to stay on this really cute island called Lido, which was only a boat ride away from Venice and all the sights! Our first night there we spent just exploring the island, we went to the beach and saw the millions of sea shells that had collected there (seriously - I've never seen so many sea-shells at one time in my entire life) - it was crazy!!! And then we went out to eat at this cute little restaurant - I had the Tortellini Carbonara - which was absolutely amazing!!!

The next day we spent in the surrounding areas, getting to know Venice and it's culture. We were able to do a Murano Glass Blowing Tour thru our hotel - which I must say was a lot cooler than I thought it would be! The way that they can take a shard of glass and turn it into something recognizable is amazing! I swear, one minute the guy was holding a ball of glass and the next it was a glass dress! They are just extremely talented people, who really know what they are doing!! And of course - I did end up buying some glass - I did some early Christmas shopping :-)

We of course also went to all the sights, like St. Mark's Basilica, the clock tower - Torre dell'Orologio (the view from here was absolutely amazing!), the Piazza San Marco, the Rialto Bridge, the Bridge of Sighs, and of course the Grand Canal, itself, with all the gondolas!

It was just an awesome experience overall, because first of all, I've never been to a city on the water - I mean, I've been to islands and things, but I've never been to a city, where the main mode of transportation is by boat! It's was crazy just to see how the city deals with and adapts to the environment around it. For example, we went to St. Mark's Square right after high-tide, and when we got there we could still see traces of the water - I mean by this point it had all drained out of the square, but you could tell what had happened. And in the Basilica, the entrance was all flooded, so we had to walk on ramps to get into the church, which was built higher up off of the ground to prevent water from actually getting inside the church.

It was just sometime different, and sometime pretty amazing! I really liked Venice and hopefully I can make it back there again someday - I mean before it goes completely under!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment